The perfect imperfect

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.
 ~ Marcel Proust

The universe tends towards chaos. Which means that imperfection is actually perfect. And just like the universe isn't perfect - neither am I (or you).

(uncomfortable silence...)

But here's the doozer: It's ok.
Gasp... it's actually OK?!

Yes. Which brings me here.

The universe has been trying to send me this message for a very long time, but I wasn't listening. I thought it was 'just my luck' when the first painting I bought - of the Buddha, no less - had a tiny rip on it. Or the flower-girl statue my sister bought me was chipped. Or the TV I bought my parents got a huge scratch on the side while being installed. Or the frame I got for my wedding picture was damaged. But they're all still working; still serving their purpose. And I spent so much time looking at the rip, the chip, the scratch, that I looked right past the beauty of it all: the Buddha, the flower girl, the fact that we can afford a TV, the warmth of finding a life partner (and how awesome we looked at our wedding!).

And don't we all do this? Focus on the negative. See the flaw. Look past.

I had been waiting until this 'perfect time' when all the stars were aligned to start making changes in my life. So it simply wasn't happening. I wasn't happy, but I also wasn't doing anything to not be not happy. Finally, on this random day in November, I decided enough was enough. That tomorrow (i.e. today) was going to be the day I changed it all (slowly, of course). And what a perfect day it turned out to be. The first day of the last month of the year. A time for reflection. A time for anticipation. A time for acceptance. I woke up this morning, in a warm blanket, in a beautiful house, to look out at the expansive sky and mile-high leafless trees swaying in the wind outside my bedroom window. And I see it's all perfect... because it's not.

So here I am... looking for new eyes.

Today, I choose to love imperfection. I accept my ripped Buddha painting. I accept my chipped flower-girl statue. I accept the scratched TV. I accept my damaged wedding frame. After all, I have the means to buy things; I have two loving parents and two considerate sisters; I found a kindred spirit to spend my life with; and the list goes on. If all of that isn't perfect, nothing else can ever be.

But most importantly, I accept me. In fact, I love me - rips, chips, scratches, and all.

What imperfection can you accept and love today? Find one, and share it with me.

3 comments:

  1. Perfectly Imperfect.

    I had cold water when I showered when I was looking forward to a hot shower but it woke me up and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My living situation isn't ideal. But you know what ?
    I have a roof on my head and a bed to sleep on. I can afford to be safe and comfortable.

    I don't have to sleep at night wondering if someone will stab me or steal my possessions, nor am I at the behest of the weather.

    I am way more fortunate than many, and though its not perfect or ideal, I am very thankful for what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One has to pass through the (mandatory) phases of life and reached the phase where one can understand that imperfect can be perfect and that it is okay, and that realisation has to come from within - no-one can teach you.

    ReplyDelete